Emma Garland Since grade 7, Emma has performed in the annual school musical – taking the lead this year as Millie. She has consistently shown amazing skill,...
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR GRADUATES AND FAMILIES
Re: JUNE 2014 Grad EVENTS
GRAD WEEK SCHEDULE:
June 10: Grad Breakfast 7:30 am
June 12: Grad Ceremony Rehearsal 11:30 AM and Ceremony 7:00 PM (see below for details)
June 13: Grad Dinner and Dance 5:30 pm – 11:00 pm (Dry Grad Event Immediately Following)
Grad Ceremony Ticket Information
Extra tickets that have been applied and paid for are now available in the office for pickup. THERE ARE A FEW EXTRA TICKETS REMAINING. PLEASE PICK UP IN OFFICE. First come-first served.
Grad Ceremony Reception
The tradition at LSS is that the parents of graduates bring finger food, desserts etc. to the Ceremony on June 12 for the reception following the ceremony. Parents of students in grade 11 students along with grade 11 students will organize the reception. With this in mind, please plan to bring something food-wise that does not need heating up or cutting up. Please avoid foods with citrus, shellfish and/or peanuts due to grads with severe allergies. When you arrive at CLA, parents will take the food from you to the kitchen at CLA. The reception follows the ceremony in the CLA gym.
Tuesday, June 10: Grad Breakfast
The parents of grads will be hosting a breakfast for the graduates on Tuesday June 10 beginning at 7:15 am in the school cafeteria. The cafeteria will be closed to all other students. In addition, graduates that have ordered yearbooks will receive their yearbooks that morning (one day ahead of other students!)
Schedule for June 12 – All students must attend classes in morning
- 11:30 am – 1:30 pm MANDATORY Rehearsal for all Graduates at Christian Life Assembly. GRAD GOWNS WILL BE DISTRIBUTED AT THIS TIME.
- 6:00 pm ALL graduates must be at CLA in the gym
- 6:15 pm Doors open to guests with tickets
- 6:45 pm All guests must be seated
- 7:00 pm Ceremony Begins
- Reception to Follow Ceremony at CLA in gym
Graduation DINNER AND DANCE (Coast Hotel, Langley)– June 13th
- Students must arrive at venue by 5:30
- Student and Guest will be searched by Hotel Security
- Coffee/Dessert Tickets for Parents WILL ONLY GO ON SALE if we make our dinner quota. with the hotel. Tickets will be $15. An email will go out if we are able to provide this option. Dessert and Coffee starts at 7:30. There will be no early entries.
- All tickets must be purchased by June 6.
School Attendance Expectations
Graduates are excused from classes for Thursday June 12 in the AFTERNOON for the rehearsal. Graduates must attend morning classes.
Grad Ceremony Reminders
- The Grad Ceremony is a formal ceremony. The formality of the ceremony does not allow for disruptive behavior or noisemakers of any kind.
- The ceremony will be over 2 hours in length and all audience members will remain at the ceremony for the entire time.
- It is not advisable for small children to attend as the length of the ceremony will be a challenge for them and they must stay in their seats at all times.
- All guests must present their tickets at the door.
- Graduates must wear appropriate attire including appropriate footwear (no jeans, no flip flops/runners etc)
- There will be an opportunity for parents to leave their seats and go up closer to the stage for a photo opportunity with the principal. Please only go up as your child is crossing the stage and be ready to take the photo as there is only a brief pause for this opportunity. Do not follow your child out of the sanctuary. Please return to your seats and wait until following the ceremony for other photo opportunities.
- Graduates need to remember to put their name in their hat. They keep the hat as a souvenir but near the end of the ceremony they are asked to toss their hat into the air. We want to ensure they get their hat returned to them if it is lost.
Grad Dinner and Dance 6:00-11:00 pm
- As with any school event, if a student is suspected of being under the influence of drugs or alcohol, they will not be able to enter the Dinner/Dance and no refund of the ticket will be given. Security at the hotel will be checking students as they enter. In addition the LSS Administration team will be checking students.
- COFFEE/DESSERT TICKETS ON SALE IN THE OFFICE FOR $15 EACH. ON SALE UNTIL THURSDAY NOON.
Dry Grad Event
- Students participating in the Dry Grad Event may check in their change of clothes at the hotel. Parents will be hosting a coat check for you. You will need to arrange for someone to pick up your Dinner/Dance clothing at 11:00 pm. All Dry Grad participants will board the bus immediately following the Dinner/Dance. No student participating in Dry Grad is allowed out of the Dinner/Dance venue.
GRAD HANDBOOK 2014: Everything you need to know to stay on track in your grad year at LSS 2014 Grad Handbook
FINANCING YOUR POST SECONDARY HANDBOOK 2013-2014. Click on the link to find your guide to Scholarships and Post secondary. This contains important information for those students who wish to pursue post secondary training. 2014 Post-Secondary Financing 19Aug2013
Are You Graduating?
Only those students who are in a position to graduate will be permitted to participate in the Graduation Ceremony in June. The date that each potential graduate will be reviewed is May 1st. At that time, if a student is not in a position to graduate, they will be removed from the graduation list and not permitted to participate in the Graduation Ceremonies in June.
Criteria for Being in a Position to Graduate
- Student must have completed or have a reasonable expectation of completing 80 credits (48 credits for required courses, 28 elective credits, and 4 credits for Graduation Transitions). 16 of these credits must be at the grade 12 level.
- Any courses in progress outside of Langley Secondary must be 80% complete with a passing grade as of May 1st.
- Any courses in progress at Langley Secondary must have a passing or near passing grade as of May 1st.
- Graduation Transitions 12 must be complete by May 1st.
GRAD Fees ($60)/ Student Fees ($25) Students’ grad and student fees must be paid prior to receiving/purchasing tickets for the Graduation Ceremony or the Graduation Dinner & Dance.
Grad Ceremony Thursday, June 12, 2014 Each graduate will receive 3 free tickets in May for the Graduation Ceremony. A fair and equitable system will be used to distribute extra tickets. The distribution of extra tickets will begin with 1 extra ticket per family that requests additional tickets. The cost for additional tickets is $10 each.
Graduation DINNER AND DANCE (Coast Hotel, Langley)– June 13, 2014 TICKETS $65
ARCHIVED GRAD GABS from this Year